Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Reminiscing on Past Generations

On a drizzling morning on October 4th, my Bayan class went to go see/hear an author named Judy Patacsil a

counsilor at Mira Mar Mesa College talked about her book "Filipinos In San Diego". To be honest I was

really excited to go because I've never gone to a book reading ever in my life, so as you can tell by

now this was on a whole new adventure of for me to explore. So as

I was sitting there listening to this powerful Filipina woman talk

about a book she and other authors wrote about the history

of Filipinos in San Diego and the way their people struggled to keep

their culture, familes, and letting people know just how magnificent

and as important as any other. She talked about the stories behind

each picture; she talked about the actions the people did and what

they went through at that very moment; the struggles they went

through, the protesters that took action in the community, and the

families that tried to keep one another together at difficult times. She pointed out something interesting that

caught my interest; it was about how her family and so many others that were deeply involved in the

community movement and I found that very appealing because my elders lived in that generation and worked

along side the filipinos but were also in the chicano movement. I was told stoiries about this time period over

and over again by my family and how everything changed the whole aspect of the community. And

how this put my generation onto a path where we can say that we're proud of you and ourselves from where

we come from; yes each generation is acculturated by many aspects of the change of time but as well, it is

our heritage that keeps of fruitful of knowledge that will never be lost as long as we are reminded from where

we come from. Towards the end of the book reading I was thrilled to know that I could talk to the authors

and share to them what I enjoyed from the whole experience and share to them a bit of my family history. I

was also thrilled to know that our familes had gone through similar experiences and that they could relate. I

would post up pictures from when my family lived in that sourt of era but I haven't got the chance to ask for

them. When I got to talking to these authors i notice immediatly that they were really down to earth and really

easy to talk to. What I enjoyed the most from all of this was getting to know the history of all these familes

and honestly got me thinking deeply about my family that put a big smile on my face.  

                           Your Bayan Buddy signing out at a ridiculous time,
                                                                                  Patricia 8D
            

No comments:

Post a Comment