Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Sticking out like a Sore Thumb"

       My first day of school in my first class I noticed immediatly that I was one of the few mexicans in class


and right away I felt like minority which was unusual for me because the school I came from was mostly


composed of mexicans, not so much of filipinos and any other ethnic group. When the professors said that


we were going to learn about filipinos I thought "why and for what

reason" and then they said that the community does not have much

knowledge and or learn about them as such about other ethnic

groups. And then just like that "DINGG DINGGGG!!!" a light bulb of

realization came; I thought to myself " I honestly didn't know much about

filipinos" and that frustrated me because I started to think of what little bit

I do know. I didn't know about the history, about the generations and waves, their customs, the cultural

values, and so on and so forth, you get the idea. But as each day I came to class I knew a bit more and

it was being absorbed and it kept me wanting to know more. I like that feeling ^_^  Being able to recognize

what I never been able to before. Knowing what I know now about filipinos led me to think that they are

very similar to me but not; there are so many ways I can relate and start to feel comfortable talking about my

family background because they are just like me going through everyday life with everyday situations. I

honestly like the idea that I get to learn about filipinos almost everyday and I'm thinking now at ten o'clock at

night why the hell hasn't the school systems been teaching this; it's just as important as mexican history, just as

important as african american history, overall just as important as any ethnic group in the states REALLY

COME ON EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM. I feel now in terms of what my professors were talking about, we

are a BAYAN and will eventually become a family that some might not understand, that we come to each

other when one is need of advice, help, or just someone to talk to; I've come to a conclusion that I can call

my classmates another family that I didn't have. 
               
                signing out, your BAYAN BUDDY, 
                                                               Patricia Arce 8D

  
      

3 comments:

  1. Hello Patricia.

    I'm always interested in people's stories, i.e., what brings them to classes like this and what keeps them invested. Your post reminds me that this class isn't about racial separatism or racial pride. Instead, it is about generating and sharing knowledge about a topic worth knowing.

    As you say, there is much to know about Filipinos in American - as there is with the other racial and ethnic groups in America. We may be surrounded by Latinos here at SWC, and there plenty of Filipinos, too. But what do we really know about their history, sociology, contributions to America? What formal study have we done? Your post reminds students are hungry for such knowledge, a hunger people may not even be aware they possess! I'm hoping that your appetite for learning keeps growing.

    It seems that learning, a mental process, does have emotional effects. Your post suggests that once we realize our own ignorance about ourselves and the world around us, we may experience feelings of anger and confusion. Like many others, you are surprised and angry that you've been denied knowledge.

    I'm liking what I'm reading, Patricia. Your words validate my own experiences and beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second note! Have you had a chance to read Alonso's latest entry? He's thinking about inter-ethnic relations (Mexican/Filipino). Check it out. What might our own personal experiences across ethnic lines teach us about ourselves and each other?

    It's worth following up, and I think will enrich your journey, Ms. Arce. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say after reading this is "Yes!" Being willing to learn about others is what makes us better people - and why doesn't the U.S. educational system encourage this more?? After all, we're supposed to be a nation that prides itself on diversity.
    I like your thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete